Talladega Spoonbread recipe from the Purefory Hotel Cook Book 1941, Talladega Alabama
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Dish or Well Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet
- Mixing utensils
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups corn meal If using Self Rising corn meal omit adding in the salt and baking powder
- *salt to taste - Omit if using Self Rising corn meal
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Butter the size of an egg
- 4 eggs Well beaten
- 1 tbsp *baking powder Omit if using Self Rising corn meal
- Put milk on to boil. When it is almost boiling, stir in corn meal rapidly.
- Remove from heat and add *salt, sugar, butter and *baking powder.
- When sufficiently cool, add the eggs.
- Put in a large buttered dish or pan and bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until brown.
- Have batter 1 inch thick in pan when cooked.
- Serve hot with a spoon.
- Serves 8-10.
- Half the recipe makes a nice casserole for family.