Pickled Eggs - Purefoy Hotel Recipe - Talladega Alabama 1941
Recipe from the Purefoy Hotel Recipe book from 1941.
Servings 12 servings
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 tsps ground ginger
- 2 tsps mixed pickling spice
- 12 whole black peppers
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried dill weed
- In large saucepan, cover eggs with water, to measure an inch above them. Bring quickly to boiling. Remove from heat; let stand, covered 20 minutes.
- Cool at once in cold water. Remove shells.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan, bring to boiling the vinegar, ginger, pickling spice, and black peppers. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Pour hot mixture over eggs in a 1-quart jar. (If there is not enough liquid to cover eggs, add water.)
- Add onion, garlic, and dill weed.
- Refrigerate, covered (do not seal jar), at least 4 days.
- Serve eggs in wedges, sprinkled with salt and black pepper.