Apple Pie I
Apple Pie recipe from "The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book - by Fannie Merritt Farmer 1896
- Pie Plate
- 4 or 5 sour apples
- 2/3 c sugar
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- few gratings lemon rind
- Line pie plate with paste.
- Pare, core, and cut the apples into eights, put row around plate one-half inch from edge, and work towards centre until plate is covered; then pile on remainder.
- Mix sugar, nutmeg, salt, lemon juice, and grated rind, and sprinkle over apples
- Dot over with butter.
- Wet edges of under crust, cover with upper crust and press edges together.
- Bake forty to forty-five minutes in moderate oven.
- A very good pie may be made without butter, lemon juice, and grated rind. Cinnamon may be substituted for nutmeg. Evaporated apples may be used in place of fresh fruit. If used, they should be soaked over night in cold water.