Tex-Mex Chicken Chowder - Haybox
Updated version of a slower cooker Tex-Mex Chicken Chowder recipe.
- Haybox Cooking
- 1 c chopped onions
- 1 c thinly slices celery
- 2 cloves garlic crushed or finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1.5 lb chicken, boneless, cut into cubes
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 pkg country gravy mix
- 16 oz chunky salsa
- 32 oz frozen hash brown potatoes
- 4 oz green chilies, chopped, jar
- 8 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
- Saute together in oil the onions, celery, garlic, and chicken in billy can or large pot until the chicken is browned all over.
- Add broth and cheese. Bring to a boil.
- After cheese has melted add potatoes, salsa, and green chilies.
- Bring to a simmer.
- In a separate bowl add a cup of water to the gravy mix and mix well.
- Stir in the gravy mix. Bring mixture back to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place in your haybox and keep covered for 2-3 hours.
- Reheat if necessary when time to serve.