Nanna’s Hay Box Veggie Soup Recipe
This vegetable soup recipe is easy to make – you’ll be finished prepping and cooking in about 30 minutes and enjoying vegetable soup by supper time.
This recipe uses the Hay Box (Thermal Cooking) method. Great for camping or when you don’t want to get the slow cooker out of the cabinet.
For this recipe I used what vegetables I had on hand. Some were fresh and other were from a can.
Thermal cooking saves money by using heat stored in the food to cook. Great for camping or when you don’t want to leave the slow cooker plugged in all day while everyone is at work or school. I’ve used this method while camping and the recipes are endless! Pick your favorite recipe and use the thermal method to cook it. The only catch is there must be liquid and the container needs to be at least 3/4 full. Keeping the vessel full allows the heat to be retained log enough to cook the food properly.
- 2 medium onions – diced
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease (or olive oil)
- 3 large carrots chopped in rounds
- 12 small new potatoes – skin on and diced
- 1 can Butter Peas
- 2 cans diced tomatoes and the juice
- 1 can whole kernel corn – drained
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 Tablespoon Penzey’s Krakow Nights seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Penzey’s Foxpoint Seasoning
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Saute the onions in the bacon grease until tender and almost starting to brown. I saute mine in the pot that goes into my thermal cooker.
- Add all the other ingredients and bring back to a boil.
- Reduce the heat a little and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes. Make sure the pot is boiling and the bubbles can’t be stirred down. The vegetables need to be heated all the way through.
- Remove from heat. Place lid on the thermal cooker pot and place into the thermal cooker.
- Leave the food in the cooker for 4-5 hours. Do not check the food since that will release the heat. Keeping the heat in the pot is needed for thermal cooking.
- After 4-5 hours the soup will be ready. Carefully remove the cooking pot from the cooker and enjoy!
[amazon_link asins=’B01LXUM4AS’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’fromthealdergrove-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’13662cc6-5165-11e8-a2cf-f54695373778′]