Here’s something I found over on MSN that I thought was pretty interesting:
“There was a time when the holiday was much more commonly celebrated. As recently as the early 1900s, there were concerts and balls held throughout the Leap years. And as a special bonus to women of the time, there was the “right” (sanctioned by Queen Victoria) to propose marriage to a man, or at least ask him to dance. If the man declined to marry, there was at least a consolation prize – he was supposed to provide a silk dress and a kiss on the cheek.”
“This tradition may trace to the 1200s, when a woman had the law backing her intention to propose during a Leap Year in some parts of Europe. She was required, however, to wear a red petticoat that showed beneath her skirts, “to give men the opportunity to run the other way,” says Sharman Robertson, archivist at Hallmark Cards….”
Read the complete article –> HERE
Unconscious Mutterings – Week 56
I say … and you think … ?
Lube:: KY (not Kentucky)
Champion:: Spark Plugs
Reality TV:: Survivor
New York:: City
Looking for something different to do? Do you like Celtic music? Do you live close to the Montgomery, AL area? If so.. check this out: ALTAN – Live February 29, 2004 7:30 P.M. Lee High School in Montgomery More from email@example.com Presented by: Celtic Music Society of Montgomery Read more about ALTAN at their homepage.
What did you do today?
1. Answered call at 7:30am from appliance company telling me they were on their way to install the new dishwasher.
2. Watched The Waltons and Little House on the Prairie will the repairmen tried to decide just ‘how’ they would be able to remove the old washer.. then decide just how they would put in the new one. (former owners put the ceramic tile in the kitchen up over the legs ends on the dishwasher) They finally got everything squared away, then I got to clean up the mess. The old washer was so gone, that there was a rust flake trail out to their truck.
3. Waited patiently until they were gone and broke in the new washer with its first load of dishes. Hey its even got that ‘New
Car dishwasher’ smell!
4. At 11am met hubby for lunch.. mmmm Thai!
5. Went over to the other house and did a little more painting.. baseboards, doors, and trim.
6. Back home… watched 4 episodes of Stargate SG1.
7. Caught up on email… well sort of… ok, its almost midnight.. I really need some sleep.
I hear its supposed to be pretty tomorrow.. I hope it is, I’d love to do a little hiking, biking or walking.. you do know that swimsuit weather is just around the corner! Ok.. scary thought huh.. sorry about that!
Reality and perfection are synonymous.
Rain rain rain… it looks like the rain is back again today.
Ok.. my visit with the ENT went well.. he says I have a nasal blockage, but that it can be taken care of with ‘turbinate surgery’. Everything is done at the outpatient center, and I’ll go home the same day. Right now we’re waiting until after school is out, just so I don’t have to miss any more classes.
I got home around 4ish.. then went straight to my marketing book. The rest of the evening was spent doing a practice quiz for all my chapters, and watching Stargate . Yep.. on Mondays I usually watch 4 episodes on the SciFi channel, and I’m almost up the the current season too. Some of the episodes I’d seen before, so those went to ‘mute’ while I concentrated on my studies.
OH.. yesterday I met up with J and some of his co-workers at Dreamland for lunch. You don’t have a Dreamland where you live? That’s not a problem.. they deliver. It was pretty good, and the portions were huge. Get all your napkins ready before you start, because your going to get messy. Are you the
wing Rib master? Well they have bibs if you need one. All in all its a pretty good place to eat. A bit $$ for lunch, but still good.
Well its time to get ready for class.. have a wonderful Tuesday!
One of the many canals of Venice, Italy.
Spring Break Trip – 2004